Method Brewing’s Jalapeño Imperial IPA Recipe
Courtesy of Method Brewing
For each 5 gallons of beer produced:
1. Combine the following grains:
- 7 pounds of 2-row barley
- 3 pounds of maris otter barley
- 2 pounds of light Munich barley
- 1 pound of crystal 20 barley
2. Mash at 152 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Boil for 60 minutes with 2 pounds of dextrose. For each gallon of beer, add two fresh, seeded jalapeños at the start of the boil.
4. Bitter to 80 IBU, and also add 3 ounces of Columbus hops at flameout.
5. Ferment with San Diego super yeast.
6. Bring up the final spice to 100 Scoville (mild) or 200 Scoville (spicy) using jalapeño tincture. (To make the tincture, blended jalapeños are soaked in grain alcohol for three days; excess alcohol is then allowed to evaporate off, concentrating the tincture. The tincture should be Scoville tested prior to use.)